Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Valentines Flamingos

I have two daughters.  Both are incredible, amazing, and lovely.  One is very into school, crafts, cooking, and all busy things like that (a bit like me).  The other is not so interested in those things--- she has her own interests- like boys, hair, clothes, styles, etc.  It has been amusing to see our two daughters be so different, and we are very grateful they get along so well.  I showed our youngest (the one into crafts) some cute homemade Valentines (that I saw on Pinterest) that were flamingos--- and she went crazy over them.  The next thing I knew, she was asking me every day, several times a day when I was going to buy the pink feathers and chenille stems/ pipe cleaners so she could make them.  I kept putting her off because I would have to go to the craft store to get them, and the craft stores are far enough away that I rarely go.  One day while I was at Walmart, I noticed that they had a package of multi-colored "fuzzy sticks" aka pipe cleaners/chenille stems.  And a small bag of white feathers.  Being completely lazy, I thought--- those will work, and the multi- colors will probably be cute. 
 
I brought them home, and when Kelsey got home from school, she immediately went to work coloring the white feathers with colored sharpies so the feathers would match!  So funny.  She worked and worked until she had colored enough feathers.  She even (by memory) made up a class list, and put a check in the right color by each child's name so she would know how many to make of each one.  (I confess she gets her list-making from me, too.)  She twisted the legs and the heads using the chenille stems.  Then she had to wait on Mommy to cut out the hearts. 
 
The poor girl waited and waited and waited.  When she started almost freaking out because it was getting really close to Valentine's Day (at that point it was still two weeks away!  Luckily, unlike me, she does not procrastinate!), then I finally got around to cutting out the heart bodies.  I happened to have paper in the right colors, so K-bug was happy to finally get to put them together.  I was worried about her burning herself with the glue gun, but she told me that her job was to glue them, my job was to hold them together until the glue set.  And that's how it went.  When Kelsey went to bed, they were still headless, but I got on that right away so we could finally put the flamingos away!  Kelsey happily took them into her classroom over a week early, assuring me that her teacher wouldn't mind. 
 
Now, don't you think Kelsey did a good job on her Valentine's Flamingos? I love the google/wiggle eyes.  She had a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment