Friday, February 15, 2013

Ombre Chevron Quilt, HST Method

After making the chevron quilt using the 2 strip method, I thought I would try one using HSTs (half square triangles) to compare the two methods.  I started with 5" squares.  In the quilt using the 2 strips, each strip was 6".  So these Chevrons are smaller than the one I made using the 2 strip method, which makes it a little harder to accurately compare. 
 
What I found comparing the two methods:
 
#1. I don't think the 2 strip method actually saves fabric like I thought it would.  The reason for that is that you have to cut off the jagged edges to get the rectangular quilt, and all of that fabric is wasted.  The half square triangle method very efficiently uses up the fabric, both with cutting the fabric and with sewing the fabric.  So, of the two methods, the HST seems to waste less fabric, in my opinion. 
 
#2.  I did feel that the 2 strip method is faster.  I sewed each 6" by WOF (width of fabric) into strips (using one print and one white strip), sewed them, and then cut them in to 11 1/2 inch squares.  Sewing, ironing, and cutting was very fast and easy.  Even if I had used bigger squares for my HST, the equivalent of the 6" strips, I still think the 2 strip method would be faster.  However, if I wanted to make huge Chevrons, then I think the HST would be better. It took me just a couple/few hours to sew the 2 strip top.  It took me 2 days of sewing to finish the HST top.  Quite a difference. 
 
#3.  I think the 2 strip method overall was easier.  You are only dealing with on grain or cross grain fabric.  With the HSTs, you have bias edges that stretch, so the top can be a little wavy if you are not careful.  There is also more sewing/piecing with the HSTs.  However, when it comes to laying the fabric out, when  the blocks are done and you are ready to assemble the quilt, the HST squares are easier to lay out.  You also have the bonus of not having to cut off the edges to make the rectangular quilt.  So, of these, I guess it would matter which problems would bug you most!

Now that I am starting to feel comfortable with stippling to machine quilt, I thought I would try to quilt shadow- the Chevrons.  After sewing two, and taking a loooong time to do it, I gave up--- quilted the other end the same way so it would match, and then just did the random stippling for the rest.  Much faster!  Maybe when I'm not pressed for time I can learn how to do the other kinds of quilting stitches! 

I do like how the shadow quilting looks, though!

When trying to lay it out, I kept trying to balance the colors.  It just wasn't working.  Mainly because of the dark grey.  No matter where I put it, it stood out too much.  Then I thought about how ombre is popular right now.  So, I tried an ombre layout.  I liked it a lot more. 
 That's what I stuck with--- an ombre Chevron quilt! OOOOooooh!  That gives me an idea.... I'm going to have to look to see if I have enough fabrics in one color family to do a true ombre Chevron quilt!  :) 

3 comments:

  1. What an adorable quilt. Wish I was as talented as you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are dimensions of your quilt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry it has taken me so long to answer your question. This quilt is approx. 48" by 66".

      Delete