Friday, January 11, 2013

Chevron Quilt, 2 strip block method


I looked all over the internet trying to figure out what I wanted to do for my next quilt.  I decided on a Chevron quilt.  At first I thought I would do the half square triangle kind, like this --- but then I decided to use the two strip block pieced version, as shown in the tutorial here.   I chose that because I wouldn't have to sew on the bias, where I would risk stretching.  And because I thought the strip kind looked like there were fewer seams, meaning fewer seam allowances, meaning less fabric used.  I don't know if that would have really been the case, but that was what I was thinking.  Then I made the strips wider, to have even less total seams.  It went together quickly- the whole top was done in a day, while I was distracted, and had to stop several times to do other things.  But the top was still done in a day, rather than a week of full time sewing like the Sparkle Punch Quilt top. 

Quilting it took a little longer....... One word of caution to anyone new to the free motion quilting foot--- it is much more open than the regular foot, and with all of the shifting, pulling, and pushing to move the quilt around, it is far easier to SEW your finger into the quilt than you'd think.  Trust me.  Remember to keep your fingers away from the needle (duh, right?)  If, by chance, you do find your finger speared by the machine's needle and thread, try to not instinctively rip your finger away.  It will only make the needle tear through your finger.  Try to think through it and push the "needle up" button, to make the needle come back up out of your finger.  This may or may not be hypothetical.......and I may or may not have tried it (not on purpose!) both ways (the "needle up" button way hurts much less, um, hypothetically)..... Now that I've grossed you out.... I bet you didn't think sewing could be hazardous! :) Too funny.  I remember my Mom sewing her finger ONCE while I was growing up, and I thought that was just crazy!  Anyway, I hope to have this machine quilting thing down soon! 

The only tip I can think of for the 2 strip kind of Chevron is to pay attention when you are laying it out.  I had unknowingly shifted mine in one section so that it looked like I needed 1/2 of a 2 piece strip (so one piece of fabric) on one edge instead of the regular 2 piece block.  I looked at it and checked it a few times, but couldn't figure it out.  It took a while to see that one block was turned funny, thus throwing off the whole pattern on the edge.  I chose to cut off (it was actually a little hard to do.  Those beautiful Chevrons!) the excess parts of the squares to make the quilt into a rectangle.  This leaves you with fabric edges on the bias, and so you'll need to be careful when quilting to not stretch the edge.  I've heard starching it and ironing it will help with this.  Using spray adhesive to tack the quilt top to the batting layer before quilting also seemed to help the edges to not stretch out. 

All in all, it went by very quickly for a quilt- much faster than hand quilting! And I'm happy with the result.  Not just happy, but a little proud, too.  This one's a lap-sized quilt at 50" by 60", and it's my first bigger quilt (non-baby quilt) with machine quilting.  I definitely need more practice, but that skill will come with time.   The back is nice, soft minky- so cuddly and warm in a quilt. 

4 comments:

  1. What are the dimensions of the strips you used? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used strips that were 6" tall by the width of the fabric. After sewing one patterned strip to one white strip (and ironing the seam), I cut them into 11.5" squares.

      Delete
  2. Your link to the instructions -http://beesquarefabrics.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-make-zig-zag-quilt-without.html- is no longer valid (within the last week!). Do you have the complete instructions that you could share on your blog or does that violate some copyright that "beesquarefabrics" might have on them?

    ReplyDelete