Friday, June 15, 2012

Teriyaki Chicken

When I need teriyaki chicken for a recipe, or when my family is going to have teriyaki chicken for dinner, this is my go-to recipe.  It is my favorite one to use.  It's not a picky recipe- and it's forgiving.  Nice and easy.  This is one that you don't need to stress over exact measurements.  At least I don't.  Half the time I don't even look at the recipe (hence the addition of the optional items-- because I forgot they WEREN'T part of the recipe) When it's all stirred together, just smell it.  If it smells good, it should be fine.  If it smells like it needs something....then add it in!  :)

Teriyaki Chicken

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed (bleh!  You must trim them of all fat and/or gross stuff!)
1/2 cup soy sauce (feel free to eyeball it)
1/4 cup water (or pineapple juice) (water is fine)
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce (or turn the bottle upside down and shake it until you have 2 tsp. or 2 Tbs. or whatever you feel like.  I don't think there's a risk of getting too much Worcestershire sauce in there- no need to dirty a measuring spoon)
1/4 C. brown sugar (just open the bag and sprinkle it in until it looks like 1/4 cup.  If it's a little more, it won't hurt it!)
1/2 tsp ground ginger (just shake it in)  OR several grates, about 1 tsp, of ginger root (preferred)
dash of garlic powder OR 1 clove garlic, minced (preferred)
OPTIONAL:  about 1-2 Tbs. vinegar
                       1/4 tsp. black pepper or crushed red pepper

Now, to cook it, you can stir together the sauce (until the sugar has dissolved) and:

To BAKE:  mix the teriyaki sauce in an 8X8 pan, place the (thawed) chicken in.  Cover with tin foil or a lid and bake at 375 until chicken is done.  Usually 45-60 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken breasts)  If you are in a hurry, you can cut up the chicken to help it cook quicker.  If the chicken is frozen, it will take longer to bake. 

To GRILL:  Mix the teriyaki sauce in a gallon sized bag or large bowl.  Let the chicken marinate in it for a few hours in the fridge, turning occasionally.  Grill until chicken is done.

CROCK POT:  Mix the teriyaki sauce in the crock pot.  Place the chicken in.  If the chicken is frozen, you'll need to add on more time- an hour or two.  For (thawed) chicken, it takes about 2 hours on high. 

IF USING CHICKEN IN A RECIPE,  I let it cool until I can handle it without burning my fingers.  Then I either chop it up into cubes or I pull it into pieces with my hands (you don't want the fine shredding that comes from using forks).  Then I put that into a bowl, covering it with the teriyaki sauce it was cooked in (just until the chicken is covered), and put it in the fridge until I am ready for it in the recipe (usually salad). 


No comments:

Post a Comment