Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Best Zucchini Bread, Ever!

When I was 12, a lady in our neighborhood showed a bunch of us girls how to make zucchini bread.  It was one of my first experiences with cooking/baking, and I loved it!  Especially when the result was so yummy.  I don't know if it's the sentimental memories or if it really is the best zucchini bread ever- but I haven't found a recipe that I like better.  That super nice woman has since passed away from cancer- and having her recipe means all the more to me now. 

Karen Gailey's Zucchini Bread

3 eggs, beaten
2 cups sugar
1 cup canola oil
2 cups grated zucchini (I use the large hole- side of the grater)
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. salt
1 cup walnuts, optional

Combine eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla.  Mix in the grated zucchini. Add flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and spices (if you happen to add a little more cinnamon, it will be just fine- in fact, lovely).  Blend well.  Stir in chopped nuts, optional. 

Grease and flour 2 loaf pans.  Divide the batter evenly between the two pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.  Start checking at 45 minutes to see if it's done- dip a toothpick into the middle of a loaf and if it comes out clean, it's done.  If not- and the center is still jiggly, then cook for another 3-5 minutes and check again.  At home,  it was always done at 45 minutes.  Here--- it took 55 minutes.  I have no idea why.  Altitude?  Because I wanted it to be done?   As you can see, it didn't stop me from sampling it--- before I could even get in a picture! 

Once done, allow to cool for a few minutes in the loaf pan.  Run a table knife along the side edges, loosening the bread from the pan.  Turn upside down onto cooling rack, then flip loaf back to cool right side up.  It is easier to cut when cool, but still cuts just fine while warm! 

Wrap in plastic wrap to store.  Wrap again in tin foil if you want to freeze it.  If you have lots of zucchini during the summer, you can shred and freeze the zucchini in two cup increments, to use in this recipe.  Just thaw and add in as you would normally (drain any excess liquid from freezing).

No comments:

Post a Comment