Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Lattice Tattered Flannel Blanket

Tattered flannel baby quilts
I wanted to try out a variation of the typical tattered flannel quilt made out of squares.  I love the lattice look when the squares are turned on the diagonal, so I tried it out with spacer sections forming the lattice.  I was a little worried about how it would turn out.  I didn't want the increased space of the seams to be too bulky when compared with the flat centers of the squares.  Using just two layers of flannel (no middle layer) and a small 3/8" seam allowance, it turned out just fine. 

After a lot of deliberation (if you know me, you know that I frequently feel like these kinds of decisions are life-or-death ones), I decided to cut off the cute square scalloping that was around the edges and I finished it in a straight line with binding all around.  I like that it's not the "usual" tattered quilt.  I think the lattice framework helped the pastel pinks and blues blend together a little better.  I think I want to try another one leaving the squared scallops on to see how that looks (although it would make the binding a pain to do).

 I am learning that I can branch out- and not just do the typical, usual square patchwork pattern on tattered quilts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment