Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Stenciled Frames with Vinyl Sayings

Things have been a little.....shall we say busy????.... around here lately, so I'm sorry I haven't been as consistent with posting.  I am trying, but there might (will) be gaps for the next month or two.  But then I should be getting right back into finishing off my unfinished projects and using up my "stash".
 
I haven't even started yet, and I'm already off on a tangent.  In my old age (ha, ha!), I sometimes forget the correct spelling of words, which is actually mortifying for me.  I have never had a hard time remembering how to spell!  Until I had kids, that is.  Recently I have found myself looking up words like- is it stenciled and canceled?  Or stencilled and cancelled?  Without any real luck on my part because all I have been able to discover is that stenciled and canceled are the American way of spelling those words, while the British way is stencilled and cancelled.   The concept of spelling things differently doesn't really bother me.  For example, I would never spell "favor" as "favour", "honor" as "honour", or "color" as "colour", but I have no problem with someone else (say in Great Britain) spelling them that way (although it does seem pretentious if an American spells it that way, but not pretentious at all if they are from GB.  Go figure.)  But when it comes to conjugating a verb, it just seems strange to me that the spelling would be different.  I am dorky enough to have done a tiny bit of research on it.  On the internet.  And we all know we can trust everything on the internet (another ha, ha!), so take what I say with a grain of salt.  (BTW- how did that expression come about?)  According to the internet, and the technical rules of the English language, it would be cancelled and stencilled.  I already forgot why.  But, in America, those words are exceptions to the rule.  I also forgot why.  Awfully strange and confusing, if you ask me! 
 
Ok, so back to the subject.  A couple of years ago, I was looking for a gift that I could make.  I saw an ad for a frame at Shopko (or somewhere like that) that looked cute.  I thought that I could make one that would look similar.  This was what I came up with. 
A couple of weeks ago, I knew that I needed a few more gifts, and happened to come across this picture.  I thought it could make a nice gift again.  It took a while to find my damask stencil, but I did.  When I looked at the stencil, I thought that it wasn't quite the right shape, but then remembered that when I stenciled (I'm an American!) the first frame, I chose a small section and repeated it to get the shape on the frame that I wanted. 

This time I chose to change the saying because this speaks to me right now.  When I hear it, it brings to my mind images of my children when they were younger.  As happy as I am to be done with those particular challenges (of having little munchkins running around), I have found that there are new challenges always ahead.  Some days I miss having little ones.  Some days I am so happy to have my kids be a little older (like when we went to NYC and saw Wicked, and ALL my family enjoyed it.  There was no stress of trying to keep little ones happy and quiet- they loved the performance!) Then again, sometimes I just want to reach right into a picture of my little cuties when they were still so little and be able to give them a huge hug and a kiss.  To feel their little tiny arms reach around me.  But then each night or morning I have the chance to give my now big kids a huge hug, and I get to tell them that I love them.  That I am proud of who they have become.  What an amazing thing, to be a Mom. 

And, duh.  I forgot to take a picture of the new frames.  Lame-O.  I unwrapped one of the gifts to take a picture.  Shhhh.  Don't tell. 

If you are looking for a new idea to freshen up your painted flat frames, try stenciling them!  If the stencil isn't the right shape, look at it to see if you can just use part of it, or repeat part of it to make it work.  I held a piece of paper over my stencil to mask what I didn't want to stencil.  Then repeated one little part of the stencil on both sides to get the shape I wanted.  Think outside the box!  I love that the stenciling changes the flat frame so much.  It adds a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment